Maintaining good hygiene and avoiding contact with skin lesions and any drainage are the best methods for preventing the transfer of bacteria. Proper prevention and management recommendations include, but are not limited to:
- Keep hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and warm water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Shower immediately following exercise.
- Avoid whirlpools if you have an open wound, scrapes or scratches.
- Do not share towels, razors and athletic gear.
- Properly wash athletic gear and towels after each use.
- Maintain clean facilities and equipment.
- If you have an active skin lesion, report it to the athletic trainer and coach. They will refer you to your physician if necessary.
- Administer or seek proper first aid when necessary.
- Care and cover skin lesions appropriately before participation.